McGladery Commercials Ltd - FAQ's

  • What documents do I need to have with me to be able to hire a van?

    • A current driving licence – plastic and paper parts.
    • Two forms of identification – passport, utility bill (within 60 days), bank statement (within 60 days).

  • How old do I have to be to hire a van?

    Between the ages of 23 and 69 years and have held your licence for 2 years.

  • What size of van can I hire?

    Any van up to 3.5 tonnes – CDV, SWB, LWB or Luton Box Van.

  • What type of van do I need?

    • SWB – ideal for garden waste, collection/removal of furniture, house clearance, kids to university.
    • LWB – ideal for moving house, house clearances, relocating, moving larger items.
    • Luton Box with tail lift – ideal for moving house, especially if heavy items to shift.

  • What is the minimum period of rental?

    Our rentals are generally for periods of 24 hours but we do provide half day hires on our SWB and LWB vans. Rentals are available from 8.30am to 12.30pm or 1pm to 5pm.

  • How much is the deposit?

    We ask for a £250 deposit on a debit or credit card.

  • What is the deposit for?

    The deposit covers part of the insurance excess in the event of an accident or damage incurred whilst in your care or any other costs such as fuel shortages or toll charges.

  • What if I can’t find the paper part of my licence?

    The DVLNI will provide a Driver Entitlement for a small charge (approx. £7 – 10). Contact details 0845 4024000, entitlement should be faxed to 02890403002 or emailed to

  • What if I have a GB Licence?

    The paper counterpart of a GB licence is no longer valid. We can check your driver entitlement via a unique code, obtained via  Paper counterparts are still valid for licences issued  by DVLNI.

  • How does the insurance work?

    • Self Drive Insurance - The van is fully covered by comprehensive insurance but nothing carried in the van, this is the responsibility of the hirer. The insurance excess is £750.
    • You can insure the van under your own insurance but it must be a Commercial Policy. We will require proof that our vehicle will be insured fully comp.  If you are self insured you will be responsible to your insurer for any excess applicable if the van is damaged.

  • What is the cost of fuel?

    You have to pay for the fuel that you use. We supply the van with approximately a quarter tank of fuel and you should return it with the same amount in the tank. If the van is returned with less fuel you will incur a charge.

  • Is there any extra cost if I take the van outside Northern Ireland?

    You are able to take the van to England, Scotland and Wales if you advise us at the time of booking. We treat the Republic of Ireland as we do Northern Ireland. Our own insurance is valid throughout UK and Ireland.

  • Can I extend my hire period?

    We are happy to extend your hire with prior approval where availability allows. If you are using your own insurance it is your responsibility to extend the period of hire with your insurance company.

  • What happens if I breakdown?

    We maintain our vehicle to a high standard but we are aware that problems occasionally occur. We operate a 24/7 breakdown service, therefore if you do breakdown please call us and we will arrange for a repair as soon as possible. During normal business hours call our office number and out of hour our Breakdown Service, details are on the top of the windscreen.

  • Do you have any special rates?

    Yes we do! Please contact our staff to avail of our latest offers.